Tuesday, February 16, 2010

How to Make a Ladybug Cake

This is my first EVER attempt at building a cake.  The theme for my daughter's first birthday was pink ladybugs. I had the crazy idea that I would make her her own cake, and that it would be a ladybug.Keep in mind that I am by no means a professional or even amateur. I was actually able to do this and am confident that ANYONE can as well.First step was making the cake. I opted for pre-
made mix, and got moist yellow.  I used two sizes of pyrex bowls. The large size was based on the diameter of her plate. The cake baked better then I expected in a large bowl like that. I cut the uneven tops off of both pieces after the cakes had completely cooled. Then it was time for decorating.


She has a special plate that I painted at Color Me Mine a few weeks prior. I intend for it to be her birthday plate every year. I had a large piece of wax paper with a large circular hole in the center on the plate. This was to keep the edges of the plate clean while I made a mess. a glop of frosting then went on the plate to keep the cake from moving around.

Before I go any farther, let's talk frosting. I made 4 batches of buttercream frosting. Just follow directions on the powder sugar box. I bought gel food coloring at a local cake supply store. I've also seen them at craft stored like JoAnn's.  The pink was colored to my liking, very bright. Here's a crucial tip for coloring black frosting. You MUST start out with brown. Either make a chocolate buttercream (which is what I did) or use brown coloring. If you go straight to black, you'll end up with a swamp water color. Not pretty at all. 


Start with you main piece and cover it it with a layer of frosting. Then I glopped  frosting 
where the head went, and put the head on and covered it. Now at this point, as you can see, not very promising. My husband was looking a little worried when he saw it at this step. Have no fear, things are about to get better.


I bought disposable piping bags and invested in a
 few tips. The price with weekly coupons from your 
local craft store was surprisingly low. 
First I did two lines down the center that spread a little in
 the back. This was so I could get an idea of my layout. The black dots were put on first using a star tip. Just squeeze a little, stop and lift. Easy peazy. Then it gets filled in with pink and things are starting to look good.


Voila! A beautiful ladybug cake for the little one to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment